Friday, January 6, 2012

A DA short


The world grew quiet. Everything seemed to be veiled in shadows and stillness. My eyes couldn’t penetrate the overwhelming darkness. The only source of light came from a gem that was a top of my staff; beautiful black polished wood that was carved from a tree of power, I could feel my magick swimming into it empowering the white diamond, setting it a glow. 

“What do you see mage?” a gruff voice asked, his eyes wearily trying to peer into the cave.

He wore think armour of metal and leather, a sunburst symbol printed on his chest plate. He had a menacing long sword that he held with a degree of proficiency; he clearly knew how to use it. A templar was what the people of the Chantry called him; filth, was one of my better nicknames for him.

I held no personal grudge against the man, but all mages despised templars, for the two were as opposite as flame and water.

“I can see as much as you can!” I replied bitterly, a stupid question altogether, I thought.
“Watch your tongue, mage!” he spat. I could feel his angry glare at the back of my neck.
“I should say the same, templar!” I hissed, my voice carried in the large cave.
“What do you think you...”
“Shhh!” I silenced him; my stance crouched low, as I began to draw my magick. 

He sensed the disturbance as well as he took a defensive position. Both of us trying to learn our surroundings as quickly as possible should a battle breakout. 

“Did you hear that?” I asked uncertainly, hoping the faint whisper I heard was part of my imagination.
“Yes…what was it?” He said, scanning the darkness for the source of noise.

Suddenly, the air was thick with magick, I could feel its power run down my spine and fill every fibre with its being. An Emissary, I thought; A darkspawn gifted with the power to wield spells.

“GET DOWN!” I shouted, throwing up a magickal barrier.

My timing was perfect. The moment the barrier was erected several bolts of fire came at me, the attack was significantly lessened thanks to my spell.

“He’s an emissary!” I called out “do your job!” 

But I needn’t have said that. Already the templar was running around the flames into the darkness, there was a power surging through him. One I knew only too well, and despised.
Templars had an ability to disrupt the flow of magick in a mage, rendering them incapable of casting their spells. 

Knowing that he was running blind into the darkness, I decided to assist him. The noise of the battle probably alerted every darkspawn of our position. The time for stealth was over.

Using well chosen words in the ancient Tevinter language, I directed my staff forward, allowing a burst of light to explode the darkness. 

A small army of darkspawn came into sight, cursing their number, I began to summon my magick; I would need a much more potent spell to tackle their overwhelming magnitude.

The templer showed little regard for their number; already he was engaged with at least 5 at a time, hacking and slashing his way to the emissary, the evident leader of the pack.  His usual pristine armour now washed with black ichor and blood. The darkspawn stood little chance against a warrior so gifted for battle. It pained me to admit it, but I would be already dead if it weren’t for him.

I turned my attention instead to the darkspawn behind him, there was little doubt the emissary stood at the back of the line, firing spells to avoid direct combat.
My magick was at bursting point; I focused my mind, turning my thoughts to destruction, flame, quake and shatter. 

A darkspawn leapt at me, bearing a rancid stench and a menacingly rusted sword; but my spell was ready. At my command, I let forth my magick. The whole cave shook with its power, every darkspawn in sight was helpless as my spell set them ablaze in fire and lightning.

“It seems your are useful for some things” the templar sneered, wiping his sweaty brow with the back of his hand.
“Watch it templar” I warned “ I still haven’t decided if you’ve out lived your usefulness”
At that remark, we both met in glare, wondering if this will truly end in bloodshed.

My mind was left in peace for long, as a bolt of energy knocked me off my feet. I feel to the ground feeling a warmth spreading at my head.

Magick? I thought, my head was spinning.

“You didn’t kill the Emissary templar!” I shouted, already crafting spells of freezing and disabling in my mind.

Another blast sent rent the entire cave. I saw the templar flew across and fall broken on the cave floor, where he lay quite still. If this were to continue, the place would cave in on us.

I picked myself up and searched for the Emissary, it wasn’t that difficult to find.

A lone figure stood a mast a small hill of dead darkspawn corpses. There was a halo of power surrounding it, glowing with a sort of sinister malice.

I let loose my spell, the effect was immediate. A cocoon of ice formed around it, imprisoning it.
I could feel my mana wading, I had cast too much. Pulling out my reserves, I called on all my strength. I could feel a surge run through my system,  but even then I knew it wouldn’t be enough.

Already the Emissary began placing a shield, without any incantation or spell gesture. I could feel the power emanating from it; even on my best day I couldn’t hope to produce such a powerful defense.

 A loud battle cry broke the air. The templar ran with a fury I had never seen before, his sword blazing with an energy I knew originated from lyrium. 

His blade came crashing down the magical barrier, shattering it like thin glass. My chance I thought.

The templar turned his gaze then to me, for at that time, we both we knew what was about to happen.
I had channeled all my magick into a single spell of such  destruction, it would eat everything in its path. My eyes a glow with the power as I stared at both templar and darkspawn.
“good” I whispered, as my spell took effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tags

Followers