Thursday, May 20, 2010

Eternity


The days passed like raindrops, each one splashing through my life leaving only a wet residue of my past. The sun was compassionate; she shone her pity, a warm light playing on my face turning everything golden.
The wind sang songs of comfort and patience, they knew I would sit here, on the road going nowhere...and wait.
Every scene was planned out perfectly, everything was set; but the lead actress was missing. The movie that is my life could not be shot.
The heavens cried softly, stars raining down around me. They couldn't bear to see me wait any longer, "go on" they beckoned; but I refuse to move an inch..."wait for me" you told me, "for you, an eternity" was my answer.
The sun and moon took their turns to display their pity, it happened so fast I couldn't tell day from night anymore, not like I cared...my mind was focused, the only sight I could see was your soft brown eyes stare deeply into mine, then only sound that registered was your beautiful voice that sung in my ears, I dared not touch anything least I forget the last time I felt your warm embrace.
I would live forever, but without you, I am already dead. The days shifted to months, then years and soon decades...still I sat.
My spirit was sore and my body grew weak, but with every painful heartbeat I could feel myself closer to you.
My breath was reduced to sharp gasps for air, everything seemed harder, but I couldn't feel more excited, I knew how close you were.
"Just a little closer" I told myself.
I was tired of counting the hours since you asked me to wait, now not a second went by unnoticed.
I could feel myself slipping away from life, everything seemed blurred, nothing made sense anymore.
The lullabies of day and night were reduced to a monotone rhythm. The beautiful gold that was once my everyday scenery was now a gray scaled portrait that reminded me of only one thing; I was dying.
My eyelids grew heavy, I knew they would never open again once they shut.
How long I had waited.
It's been 80 years since you left me in a car accident, and here where your body was lain, I waited.
I saw my last dawn before I turned blind to the living; but as I closed my eyes, I could see you as clear as daylight.
"You waited" you sang to me.
"For an eternity" I replied, remembering my last sight, I added " and a day"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tags

Followers